Using the Konsole - by a complete Linux newbie!

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Wed Jun 27 17:54:44 UTC 2007

On 06/27/2007 03:14 AM, Eamonn Sullivan wrote:
> On 6/27/07, Madeleine Rollason <madeleine at mrwebfix.com> wrote:
>> I'm a student with the Open University here in England, and need to use
>> XAMPP for my studies, I have tried several times to download and install
>> it through the Konsole with no affect.  It gets saved to my desktop as a
>> tar.gz file.  I get the following message whenever I try to untar it to
>> the correct place as specified by Apache Friends - help please!
>> 'Error Message:' (I have placed x's where my name should be)
>>
>> root at xxxxxxxdesktop:~# tar xvfz xampp-linux-1.6.2.tar.gz -C /opt
>> tar: xampp-linux-1.6.2.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
>> tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
>> tar: Child returned status 2
>> tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
>> root at xxxxxxxxx-desktop:~#
>> root at xxxxxxxxx-desktop:~#
>> root at xxxxxxxxx-desktop:~#
>
> Just checking something really simple. You said you saved it to your
> desktop. Did you try changing to ~/Desktop/ before running the above
> command?
>
> -Eamonn

That would be the problem :-)

xx at xxxxx:~/Desktop$

Maddie, while you're at it, let the University know about the Ubuntu
LAMP server; it installs pretty much the same from the start, and you
can simply use aptitude or apt-get to install the rest.

XAMPP: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html
Ubuntu LAMP: sudo aptitude install lamp-server
Links:
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUbuntu/serveredition
<http://www.ubuntugeek.com/ubuntu-704-feisty-fawn-lamp-server-setup.html#more-168>