usb external hard drive won't automount

Default User xyzzyx at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 27 03:13:39 UTC 2007

Hello!

I got a 120 gb Maxtor OneTouch III mini edition usb external hard drive
to use to backup my Ubuntu 7.04 laptop. It came partitioned and
formatted with an NTFS filesystem.  It automounted fine,
as /media/sdb1.

Then I zeroed it out by doing:
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb

Then I partitioned it using cfdisk thus:

                                 cfdisk 2.12r

                              Disk Drive: /dev/sdb
                       Size: 120034123776 bytes, 120.0 GB
             Heads: 255   Sectors per Track: 63   Cylinders: 14593

    Name        Flags      Part Type  FS Type      [Label]   Size (MB)

    sdb1        Boot        Primary   Linux ext3             120031.52

Then I formatted it:
sudo mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1

Finally, I labeled it:
sudo e2label /dev/sdb1 backup

(Strange - now when I view the disk in cfdisk, the [label] field is
empty . . . )

Now the drive won't automount.  But it can be mounted manually as:
sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /mnt
and I was able to backup my Ubuntu system using gparted from the Gparted
live cd.

And a usb flash drive still automounts just fine. So why won't the usb
external hard drive? Has anyone else run into this or something
similar?