power button placement

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Wed Jun 27 01:51:03 UTC 2007

On 06/26/2007 06:09 PM, James Takac wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 June 2007 10:17:37 NoOp wrote:

>> BTW: I just set up a system for a Windoze user making it appear the
>> same as a M$ desktop; not sure if you realize this or not but you
>> can put the Applications icon (without Places & System text) the
>> lower left corner of the bottom toolbar/panel. It only shows up as
>> the Ubuntu logo, but when clicked works exactly the same as the M$
>> Start toolbar; includes Places, System, and the
>> Shutdown/Restart/etc functions. Cleans up desktop to the point
>> where I was able to totally remove the top toolbar/panel for the
>> customer. Simply: right click the panel (top or bottom), Add to
>> Panel, scroll down to utilities, then add 'Main Menu'. Cleans up
>> the toolbar/panel considerably. You can test first by just adding
>> it to the top or bottom panel to see what it does & remove if you
>> don't like it.
>
> Had actually unlocked that yesterday but still couldn't place the
> other icons. Found you can't do a simple drag n drop as usual. And to
> use the move option in the context menu for each icon I had to move.
> Dunno if that counts as a bug, tho it would be to do with gnome and
> not ubuntu imho

You just unlock and move it to wherever you want... including the lower
panel; click & drag. Works for me.

If you really want a fun exercise, drag the entire toolbar/panel to the
left or right of your screen. Once it's there, move it back to the top
or bottom and see what happens to all of your icon positions. You might
want to save this for a weekend project :-)