Alternate CD iso for v4.07 Ubuntu corrupt

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Tue Jun 26 17:49:40 UTC 2007

On 06/26/2007 04:05 AM, Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> ac wrote:
>> Tom Palaskas wrote:
>>>

>>> My laptop is a P3 with only 256Mb RAM so it can't handle the install
>>> from the normal graphical CD. I downloaded the Alternate text-based CD
>>> iso (Ubuntu-7.04-alternate-i386.iso) and did ...
>
> Hi,
> I would strongly recommend to use the _x_ubuntu iso on such a machine.
>
> With 256MB Ram, you should probably be fine with the graphical install,
> However, the xubuntu alternate iso will install much quicker. Most
> important, imho Xubuntu will give your machine a new life.
>
> regards
> Eberhard

Why? I run ubuntu on 256Mb machines from 300Mhz to 650Mhz. My everyday
machine is a 256Mb/450Mhz, my backup machine is a 256Mb/650Mhz IBM
Thinkpad A21 attached to a docking station (it has broken screen)
monitor & keyboard. My test server is 256Mb/300Mhz w/ubuntu-desktop. All
 run just fine.

All of course are installed with the Alternate CD - the liveCD is so
slow that I go to lunch waiting for it to come up. Ubuntu could/should
take a lesson from Knoppix when it comest liveCD's...

If you want a really lite desktop, just install the lamp server then:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install xorg xterm gdm icewm menu firefox gksu synaptic

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

Ref:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal

That works quite nice and give you enough to work with without too much
overhead. You can alway remove the mysql, apache etc server bits to trim
it down further; I've just found that the LAMP server is a nice, fast
initial install and easy to work up from there.