How can I "ignore"a dying hard drive?

Scott (angrykeyboarder) geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Tue Jun 26 14:47:25 UTC 2007

Bart Silverstrim spake thusly on 194301624 ::
> Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:
>> I've got 4 identical internal drives (Maxtor 7Y25050 - 250 GB SATA
>> 1.5GB/s - if anyone cares).
>>
>> One of them is dying and has been for some time.
>
> I apologize if I'm missing something, but why not get the data off that
> dying drive and physically remove it?

You are missing something. I should have explained.

The drive is unformatted so there's nothing on it (which I did explain)
but..

	Since all of the drives are identical. I'm not sure which one it is.
	Even if I knew, I looked at removing them and was overwhelmed by it so
I'm going to pay someone else to do that for me. I'm a software guy. I'm
all thumbs when it comes to hardware (despite my having some
understanding of it).

 I mean, since the filesystem
> drivers are trying to work with a drive that is probably giving spurious
> feedback and information, aren't you risking data integrity on other
> drives?

I have no idea. I hope not. :(

> Or depending on how the drive is failing, possibly (remote
> chance) that it can harm the controller on the motherboard?

Now you've got me nervous...

--
            Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com