How to capture video from TV card

Carsten Aulbert (list) carsten at welcomes-you.com
Tue Jun 26 08:05:44 UTC 2007

Hi

Steven Pasternak wrote:
> Hi. I have a wintv card and I would like to know how to capture the the
> input and save it as a video file. I use tvtime to view it, but I want
> to capture more than just a screenshot (video and sound would be great).
> Is there any way to do that with Ubuntu Feisty? Thanks!

Depending on the card you can simply use

cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/videofile.mpg

If it's an old winTV card you will not get an mpeg encoded file but a
much larger file out of it - if it works with those cards. But I believe
xawtv has a way to save a stream as well, though I have never used it.

MythTV is an option but quite a bit of overkill for simply recording the
stream.

--
HTH & Greetings

Carsten