mouse actions in console tty1

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sun Jun 24 06:23:42 UTC 2007

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 07:35:35 +0200
Cedric <cedric.dewijs at tiscali.nl> wrote:

> On Sunday 24 June 2007, Peter Garrett wrote:
> > On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:36:01 -0700
> >
> > Richard E Miles <r.godzilla at comcast.net> wrote:
> > > How do I get my logiech usb 1.1 mouse to allow actions at the tty1
> > > console.
[snips]

> > Install the "gpm" package -
[snips]

> Thank you for the hint, it works perfectly here. It's however only working
> from one console to the next. Does anybody know what has to be done in order
> to make it possible to select text in the console (ctrl-alt-F1), and then
> paste it into a console running in X(ctrl-alt-F7)?

This is not quite an answer as such, but it is a work-around.
Set up a GNU screen session in tty1 , say , by doing

screen -S paste-test  ( capital -S lets you name your "screen session" -
very useful when you want to reattach to it)

Anything you do in that session can be worked on from a GNU screen session
in X on alt-F7 by doing

screen -x paste-test  (or whatever you named your session: -  this attaches
to an existing "session" - in this case the one in tty1 )

Thus, you can copy-paste from your work in tty1 by simply attaching to it
from X with " screen -x paste-test" as above.

GNU screen is a great program, and does all kinds of other useful things -
some introductory information here:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/3/9/16838/14935
http://www.bangmoney.org/presentations/screen.html
http://www4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~jnweiger/screen-faq.html