Opera Browser not Friendly To Old EYes

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Sat Jun 23 00:06:54 UTC 2007

On 2007/06/22 16:11 (GMT-0700) Leonard Chatagnier apparently typed:

> Just had to download, try out Opera Browser. Very
> small menu print just kills my 70 yr. old eyes.  I
> couldn't read it with a magnifing glass it's so small.
>  Therefore setting it up is impossible for me.  I can
> adjust the uri print size easily enough to read it but
> not the drop down menus.  Is it possible to adjust the
> drop down menu print size and how do you do it?  These
> old eyes thank you for any help.

Opera is really dumb in this regard. So, with Opera closed, find $HOME/.opera/opera6.ini and add somewhere under [User Prefs] and before [State] the following:

Force DPI=120

Reopen Opera to test. If still too small, try again with a bigger number. Multiples of 12 seem to work best, with 96 preferred for compatibility with some web sites that set fonts in absolute sizes.
But before tweaking, you should go into its prefs and set the UI fonts much bigger. Ideally Opera should run as everything else in X, so check the XServer output in KControl or whatever its equivalent
is if you run Gnome. 'xdpyinfo | grep dpi' from an X terminal will provide that information too. If you take Firefox or Epiphany to http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/dpi-screen-window.html you should see
reported the greater of the DPI X is using or 96. Whatever that is is what you want Opera to report as well. Once you've done this DPI matching it's time to go back into Opera's prefs to perform your
final UI font size tweak.
--
"Respect everyone."	I Peter 2:17 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409