Matrox G550 in Feisty

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 23:02:03 UTC 2007

On 22/06/07, Thomas Findlay <tom at gm4doz.co.uk> wrote:

>  Thanks Liam .... I appreciate you taking the time to explain ....
>
>  ... but, I think I take your point.  I'm in no way looking for tough issues
> to sort at the moment as I've got enough to tackle with the basics of Linux.
>  I think I'll go look for an nVidia card ... any specific twin-head model
> anyone would recommend for general work, i.e. not for performance gaming?
>
>  Cheers for now ... Tom.

Good plan. Feisty has better support for binary drivers, but I don't
know if this would include what is now a pretty old device like a
G550.

nVidia's binary drivers include a multihead system called Twinview.
Once you have the "nvidia" driver installed instead of the FOSS "nv"
one, you need do little more than enable Twinview in xorg.conf. You
can tweak layouts if you wish, but I believe that this isn't necessary
- it will default to a simple left/right arrangement.

I /think/ that any nVidia card with twin display connectors can handle Twinview.

--
Liam Proven • Blog, homepage &c: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven at aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven at hotmail.com