Cannot load/mount CDRom Drive

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Fri Jun 22 03:00:20 UTC 2007

On 06/21/2007 07:46 PM, CJ wrote:

> Have you tried mounting it from the console? sometimes, if the xserver
> has problems with mounting (my kubuntu 6.06 does at times), that tends
> to help
> --cj

Tried that, get:
mount: special device /dev/cdrom does not exist

Even tried
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,uso9660 user,noauto 0 0

I suspect that somewhere settings are being interpreted from the old
system and not being updated when I installed the drive in the new PC.
However, I had thought that fstab would have fixed it. Quite possibly I
have a module that is being loaded for the old machine and not the new
one that is affecting it, but I can't figure out where/what.

It would be nice to have a automated "check your hardware" fstab etc.,
utility that would go out and do a fresh check and ask to update.
dpkg-reconfigure xserver.xorg is lame... it nevers figures out the new
chipset, terminal type etc., and the configure debian tool isn't the
most user friendly tool around. I suppose there is something in
'configure debian' that will get me where I want, but is is frustrating
to have an OS that doesn't automatically detect a new CDRom drive on
startup.