dhcp revisited...

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Jun 21 13:15:11 UTC 2007

JD wrote:

> At work, I can use feisty dhcp networking 'as-is' (using avahi), but at
> home
> (on Comcast) it doesn't seem to work.  In a previous thread regarding
> this, the conclusion was to drop the avahi daemon, and just use dhclient3
> to set the ether device.
>
> Is it possible for me to bring up Kubuntu at home, stop the avahi daemon,
> and run dhclient to get networking operational, and let the system boot
> 'normally' at work using avahi (since this works at that location?)
>
> Or is it really better just to remove avahi altogether ?

We've been here already.  Avahi has nothing to do with dhcp.  In fact, the
avahi-daemon is used for assigning "zeroconf" IP addresses when there is no
DHCP server available.  Consequently, you're far more likely to get a
working config without avahi at work than you are at home.

Just remove/turn off the avahi daemon.  I did that months ago.
--
derek