Borrowing Computing Power

Vitus Jensen vjensen at gmx.de
Wed Jun 20 22:58:07 UTC 2007

Hello das!

das wrote:

> My laptop lies idle for quite long lengths of time. The desktop and the
> laptop are connected by LAN. Is there any way that the desktop can
> borrow the computing power (CPU and RAM) from the laptop? Or, is it too
> difficult?

As others have said it's not easy to seamless integrate computing power over
machine borders, other than with special designed distributed applications.
But you could login to the laptop via ssh and start programs there.  The
program output appears on your desktop screen but as the program really
runs on the remote computer you use the laptops resources.

  ssh -Xl user machine
  (password)
  ooffice &

Bye,