USB Floppy in UBUNTU

CJ debiani386 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 17:30:11 UTC 2007

alex wrote:
> CJ wrote:
>
>> alex wrote:
>>

>>> Is anybody using an external USB floppy drive in UBUNTU?  Any difficulties?
>>> Any advice?
>>>
>>> alex
>>>

>> ive used mine, no problems. why do you ask?
>> --cj
>>

> A few days  after I finished making and testing a couple of grub
> floppies the drive started making clicking and clacking noises
> and refusing to even look at a floppy,
Its normal for an old floppy drive to make loud noises when reading a
floppy. but if the noises are louder then usual, it is best to replace
the drive.

> I decided to go a different route
> and use an external drive.  The old one was about 11 years old.. I
> hoped I can run the grub floppies on an external dirive.  Not that I
> need to...everything boots normally ...it's just that I'd like to have
> it available.  Belt and suspenders you ,know.
> Incidently, my original message was double posted because after I posted
> the original, I kept checking the list for a response and my own
> posting.  Neither was there for a few hours so I posted again..   This
> time both postings showed up immediately. Take a look at the time stamp
> on both postings..
>
> Thanks for the info
>
> alex
> .

Furthermore, if you want to boot from your external floppy, you may want
to make sure that it supports booting from usb (as external floppy
drives are usb now).

--cj