MusicMatch Jukebox-like mp3 player...

Darryl LeCount darryl at jamyskis.net
Wed Jun 20 16:40:13 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 12:10 -0400, Ed Smits wrote:
> I was a MusicMatch user on Windows myself, and have found that Amarok
> (running in Gnome) does the library and iPod stuff much better. I
> tried Exaile as it is native to Gnome, the library functionality was
> OK, but it wasn't nearly as good with the iPod. The only thing Amarok
> doesn't do is rip to MP3, for which I've been using GRIP with the lame
> encoder.
>
> One interesting thing I've noticed - with MusicMatch my ripping was a
> lot faster, but I also noticed that there were occasional pops etc in
> the MP3's. GRIP comes with an error correction program cdparanoia
> turned on by default - I turned it off, it rips at the same rate as
> MusicMatch. I've done a careful listen to most of the stuff I've
> ripped with GRIP using cdparanoia, never a pop etc, so I guess that's
> the difference.
>

> ED

I've just fixed the problem with Amarok (solving it the way I do every
time I have a problem with a KDE app - delete the .kde folder). I'll
second this recommendation - it is a very good app, although Rhythmbox
still (marginally) gets my vote as I don't have an iPod and I do prefer
Rhythmbox's library management. That said, Dave, Amarok does seem to
have that tree structure you were looking for.

I think at the end of the day, the best thing is just to try them both
and see what takes your fancy. They are, after all, both free as in
speech and beer.

--
Darryl LeCount
www.jamyskis.net
darryl at jamyskis.net

PGP Key: 1E94A0F1
To confirm the authenticity of this mail, add this key to your PGP
keyring.
Um den Ursprung dieses E-Mails zu bestätigen, bitte diesen Schüssel in
Ihren PGP-Schlüsselbund einfügen.
Pour vérifier l'authenticité de ce courriel, ajoutez ce clé à votre
porte-clés PGP.