Printing from Win4lin VDS

Paul Thompson ubantu001 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 20:41:34 UTC 2007

Hi Guys,

Has anyone installed or have running Win4lin/Win4lin VDS? I have
installed it on Ubuntu 7.04.

It's working OK and the install was painless. It servers MS
applications over the LAN as advertised, however I am unable to get
printing working. Win4lin tech's suggested that I install the
cupsys-bsd package but that was already installed. I am using a HP
4200 Laserjet, which is a postscript printer and it works flawlessly
from Ubuntu. Below is what I have done to set up printing on the
MS/Win4lin side, excerpted from my email to Win4lin.

I have installed Win4lin VDS and installed Win2000 Prof and service
pack 4 as the MS OS. The host server is running Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty)

I have also configured the installation to serve one application. All
has gone well excepting for one problem, namely printing.

""  I have attempted to install printing as described in your manual
however with both the \\HOST\host-printer and the alternate \\HOST\
guest-printer install, I am getting this message in both cases:

"The server on which the printer resides does not have the correct
printer driver installed. If you want to install the printer on your
local computer, click OK."

If I click on OK the install proceeds and the Apple V23 driver is
installed etc...

I land up with an icon (networked icon) labelled "host-printer on
HOST" and it is labelled as ready.

However if you try to print a test page nothing prints even though the
display indicates that the page has been printed.

I also note that if you check which ports has be selected, no ports
have bee selected.

The host server is connected to a HP4200 Laserjet on our network
(Ethernet) and there are no problems with that. I tried to install the
HP4200 directly as a network printer but that did not work either. ""

Regards and thank you for any assistance you can give me.

Paul