Wireless device appears to be configured properly but I cannot ping my router!

jerry jerryturba at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 19 12:45:37 UTC 2007

Pete Holsberg wrote:
> I installed the proper drivers using ndiswrapper and then used Network
> Tools (Ubuntu 7.04) to set the device up.
>
> It sees my WAP and the configuration via Network Tools appears to be
> correct.
>
> However, I cannot ping anything ("cannot reach") and iwconfig reports:
>
> wlan0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:off/any
>           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
>           Bit Rate=1 Mb/s   Sensitivity=-200 dBm
>           RTS thr=2346 B   Fragment thr=2346 B
>           Power Management:off
>           Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>
> What have I missed?
>
> Thanks.

It appears to me from your iwconfig that the wireless card      did not
locate your ESSID and Access Point.

Did you verify that the ndiswrapper is setup properly?
sudo ndiswrapper -l

Did you restart your network?
sudo /etc/init.d/networking/ restart

Do I recall correctly that you have a Ralink 2500 chipset?
I have never used that chipset but unless you have newer/better info,
the website I posted says:

"Now because Ubuntu Feisty is using an applet called Network Manager and
considering that it does not work with any Ralink based chipsets, you
might as well kick it to the curb. You can safely uninstall it without
any hassles.

Goto System, Administration and select Synaptic. You can use this tool
to remove network-manager. If you are unfamiliar with Synaptic, use this
tute <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto> for assistance.

After removing Network-Manager, you should use Synaptic again to install
a program called wifi-radar. Once this is installed, now you will want
to download this zip file
<http://www.computertroubleshoot.com/lg/wireless.zip>."

I do not know enough about the network tools to understand how to use
them to set up a wireless network.

HTH
Jerry