Browsers Availability?

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 19 05:20:11 UTC 2007

 On 06/18/2007 01:42 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> From: NoOp
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 14:52:31 -0700
> Subject: Re: Browsers Availability?
>
>  On 06/17/2007 04:58 AM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
snip

> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
>
> - Download the linux GTK2 version
> - Read:
> snip

You are replying to the sig (after the -- ) - please reply only in the
message portion of the post.  Your question:

OK.  I;ll watch it.

> Seems that the seamonkey installer requires later versions of the
> libs, etc, than installed of Feisty. If anyone with Feisty has
> attempted to install Seamonkey, came up with this issue and solved
> it, your input is needed. If anyone knows of a Feisty repository that
> includes a seamonkey installation, please let me know what it is. I
> have a Feisty Ubuntu live CD install with Kubuntu-desktop installed.
> Happy to supply any needed info.  Thanks for your consideration.

Not at all. I have SeaMonkey on Dapper, Edgy, and Feisty. If you
followed the instructions above SeaMonkey *should* have installed just
fine.

Should have but didn't.  While I praised you for the detailed instructions a lot of it wasn't entirely clear to me.  For instance, you say open a terminal.  Do you mean a tty or like konsole instide X(KDE).

"I have a Feisty Ubuntu live CD install with Kubuntu-desktop installed."

I'm assuming that you have a fully installed kunbutu system... Have you
updated the system since you installed from the live CD ala
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
?

Oh yes. Many times.  Several today.

Regarding your link on Mozilla forums:

I have the following libstdc's installed"
- libstdc++5 version 1:3.3.6-15ubuntu1
- libstdc++6 version 4.1.2-0ubuntu4
- libstdc++6-4.0-dev version 4.0.3-4
- libstdc++6-4.1-dev version 4.1.2-0ubuntu4

usr/lib/debug/libstdc++.so.6.0.8 comes from the libstdc++6 package so
that should be fine. Can you also install libstdc++5 (use Synaptic
please) and see if that corrects your problem?

Well, I used aptitude instead of Synaptic and installed libstdc++5 which picked up several packages.  I had been working with a guy at MozillaZine Seamonkey support on this issue and after each post corrections were made and the command, su -c ./seamonkey-installer, was issued from konsole and the error output would change.  The last thought he had was that I was running the installer from su instead of root.  I got the same error using the above command from a root or user console.  So I went to tty1, logged in as root, ran the command above and also just "./seamonkey-installer" and get the same error either way.  Error was:

(seamonkey-installer-bin:22054): Gtk -WARNING **: cannot open display:

This seem to be a gtk or X error within the system now but don't know how to fix.  Some of my problems are probably due to your instructions are gnome based and I use KDE.

I have a Feisty test server that I will remove libstdc++5 from and leave
libstdc++6, and then install SM to see if I can reproduce the error.

I see from you next reply that you did verify the error.  If I knew how to fix this last Gtk error, I may actually get Seamonkey installed.  Hope you have some more ideas as I've been at this all day and last night and I hate to quit without success.
Thanks for your help.  I do need it.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net