Samba AD Authentication Issue

Matt Magin matt.azmoo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 00:24:39 UTC 2007

Hi there,

I've got a server running Ubuntu here that is authenticating with our
Windows AD server for terminal logins and share access. The terminal logins
work 100% every time and that's not an issue, but one of the shares is
having problems. When I come in to work in the morning sometimes it will not
allow access to the share. This doesn't happen every time, it's very
intermittent. If I try and map the share to a network drive it pops up the
username and password dialog and will not accept a valid user and password.
If I navigate directly to the server using \\servername I can see the share,
but when I attempt to access it it tells me that the group name could not be
found. I've restarted samba to no avail, but it seems if I just wait a few
minutes it'll all authenticate fine and I can access all of the shares.
Also, I can access my user's home directory on the same server at the same
time that the other share is failing. log.smbd has no errors, but
log.winbindd says:

[2007/06/18 08:41:52, 1] nsswitch/winbindd_group.c:winbindd_getgrnam(255)
  group ggWeb_admins in domain CMVHODOM does not exist

The group certainly does exist as I can usually authenticate with it, and if
I run `group` on the terminal it appears as a valid group. I've attached the
smb.conf for your perusal. The share that's failing is [htdocs].

Thanks,
Matt