Restrict access to Internet

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Jun 16 21:11:11 UTC 2007

debiani386 at gmail.com wrote:
> On Sat June 16 2007 6:05 pm, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Amit Patel wrote:
> > > Folks,
> > >    I was wondering if it was possible to limit users access to only
> > > selected list of sites on the internet and block all the rest. Lets
> > > say for example I want my users to access only ubuntu.com and all
> > > pages underneath ubuntu.combut users cannot access anything else
> > > such as yahoo.com or amazon.com, etc.
> > >    Is something like this possible in ubuntu ?
> > >    I am aware of the hosts file and adding entries to it, but it
> > > isnt exactly flexible.
> >
> > I think you want a proxy server which can limit the access. Have a
> > look at squid or wwwoffle. Both are available from the repositories.
> >

> > Nils
>
> nils >> ubuntu comes with its own proxy server progra right? cause you
> click system, point to administrator and you see "network proxy" or is
> that something different?

Well, if it is similar to what you get in Kubuntu with K-Menu -> System
settings -> Internet & Network / Connections -> Proxy, then it is
something different.

A proxy server is a program which sits in the path between your
application and the internet. One use of a proxy server is for company
networks to limit the internet access of the employees. Then there is no
direct link possible from any particular workstation to the internet. All
traffic has to be routed through the proxy server. The proxy server
usually can be reached on one particular port of the host computer, and
e.g. your browser needs to know which host/port to connect.  At the above
mentioned setup option you can tell several of your applications, how they
can reach the proxy server.

Nils