ubutnu's efforts to improve linux desktop ??

Ouattara Oumar Aziz (alias wattazoum) wattazoum at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 17:50:19 UTC 2007

ashwin kesavan iyengar a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know how ubuntu gives back to the community in general
> (not just ubuntu community, but linux in general). There are certain
> software products that it has developed that it has chosen to keep it
> to itself, unlike the other big guy here ( Redhat) which gives most of
> its developed software to the community. AFAIK the software i am
> talking about are rosetta, launchpad & upstart. I am sure rosetta is
> proprietary but i am not sure of the other two (correct me if i am
> wrong) . Coming back to the topic of my post, i would like to know how
> much of the time & money of ubuntu & its developer are spent on
> improving the desktop scene in linux rather than the server space.
> There has been lot of development & contribution to making linux more
> suitable as a server OS of choice. Redhat, suse & other have known to
> spend a lot of money & developer resource on improving the state of
> linux as server. But very little is done to making linux suitable for
> desktop. I find ubuntu as the first distro to concentrate on desktop
> space as well. But since they have a server market as well, which is
> of course more profitable. I want to know how ubuntu spends their
> resource on improving desktop arena. This information could be usefull
> in promoting ubuntu.
> As people are more away from pc to mobile devices. IMHO the distant
> future hold for two kinda things ulta mobile device for end user &
> server market that servers these mobile
> devices. I know ubuntu has joined hands with intel to improve the
> state of things here. What has been the progress made in this area?
>
> with regards
> ashwin

Hi,

FWI, Rosetta and launchpad are proprietary (https://launchpad.net/faq)
but upstart isn't (licensed GPLv2) .

As for your principal question, I don't know either . When I was on
Mandriva, 1 year ago and I was discussing with a friend fan of Ubuntu ,
I made an argument about, what does Ubuntu really develop for Open
Source community . I knew they were working on desktop integration
(based on open source software) but do they give something back to the
community ? From Mandriva I could see and identify the tools that they
had developed themselves, but Ubuntu, I couldn't tell. My friend
couldn't either .

Now that I have join some projects in Ubuntu, what I can tell is The
spirit is quite different. Ubuntu just wants *Open Source* to spread and
innovation to be acknowledge. So Ubuntu will give you support for your
project (via useful and professional tools like Launchpad and rosetta ),
the community will help you and join your project and at the end, you
have a nice software. Nobody will put a *powered by Ubuntu* stamp on it
. So someone outside the project won't be able to tell if Ubuntu as done
something in it . But who cares ?! The goal is to give Users nice
software coming for people creativity .

So to conclude, you will have a lot of software out there that have been