Adding fonts to Feisty

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Jun 16 11:13:33 UTC 2007

Brian Astill wrote:
> On Saturday 16 June 2007 18:06, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Maybe there are some other permissions wrong in subdirectories?
>
> I kept gnawing at the problem. eventually made all directories and
> files have a mode of 744.  That made all fonts available to
> OpenOffice Scribus and Abiword.

I don't know about Scribus and Abiword (never used them), but on my system
OpenOffice doesn't work with the fonts in directories with permission 744
(just tried it with one directory). After all, permission 744 for
directories means, that only the owner (root) may access files in the
directory. If you can use your fonts with Openoffice, are you running
OpenOffice as root? Otherwise it should not work.

Furthermore, permission 744 for a normal file only makes sense, if it is
an executable program, e.g. a shell script, which only may be run as
root. But those files "fonts.cache-1" are not programs of any sort.

> Nautilus still won't preview all the fonts unless I am root. (?)

As I explained above for OpenOffice, Nautilus can not access the font
files because of the wrong directory permissions. Now if you run Nautilus
as root, it is allowed to enter the font directories, and the fonts are
available.

Nils