Microphone/Recording Issues (Where do I start?)

Rob Munda robmunda at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 21:28:17 UTC 2007

     I'm running Feisty on a Compaq Presario notebook. Although I've read
that it can be tricky to run Linux on a laptop (laptops can be a pain with
any OS actually), Ubuntu seems to have had no problem getting acquainted
with my laptop right from the start. I've been running it exclusively for
about a month now and almost everything is perfect.

     However, when I tried to record using Audacity, I got either no sound
input, or I got garbled noise accompanying the recorded sound (depending on
what I set the sound card input to in the Audacity preferences menu). My
assumption, at this point, is that I haven't set up the microphone properly
yet, but I am unsure of where to start to resolve this issue. When I play
movies or music, the sound is perfect, no glitches. So, I can reasonably
assume it's not the playback in Audacity that's giving me the problem, it's
the input side of things that is. Also, I previously used the Windows
version of Audacity with the same microphone before I made my switch to
Ubuntu.

     Does anyone have any ideas where I should start?

Thanks in advance,
- Rob.

Pardon my English, I was educated in the United States.
Perdona mi Inglés. Fuí educado en Estados Unidos.