Windows + VM licenses

Andy stude.list at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 15 18:17:49 UTC 2007

On 15/06/07, Thomas Kaiser <ubuntu at kaiser-linux.li> wrote:
> Hello Andy
>
> You have to read this carefully.
>
>  >> You may not use the software
>  >> installed on the
>  >> licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system.
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I think this means you are not allowed to run the same license in parallel.
> -> Vista, VM -> Vista and both have the same license.

The license has this to say on what a "licensed device" is:
> Before you use the software under a license, you must
> assign that license to one device (physical hardware system). That device is
> the "licensed device."

Note the words "physical hardware system", I doubt VMWare counts, so
the VMWare machine isn't the licensed device.

Of course IANAL (I am not a lwayer).

Andy

> Micro$oft can not dictate on which hardware you like to run the stuff, you
> bought it!

I think they can! Or will at least try.  And you didn't "buy" it
you're licensing it.

> The software is licensed, not sold
(from the EULA)

This is why a prefer Linux and open source. I only need to know what's
in a few licenses, and mostly they only define terms affecting
distribution so I am ok.

Propietery software trys to limit every single thing you do.

Andy

--
SELECT * FROM remarks WHERE witty=1 LIMIT 1