Live CD/Partitioning ?

Tim Frost timfrost at xtra.co.nz
Fri Jun 15 06:32:48 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 16:40 -0700, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> Just installed 384MB ram to use the live CD.  But
> somewhat confused about retaining my $HOME Part which
> is an extended part.  Can it be done selecting manual
> part.  I have an old Deb setup that used separate /,
> usr,var on part 1,2 and3.  Tmp, home, everything else
> is in the extended parts. Read the install CD
> instructions and Partitioning instructions on the walk
> through but still not sure howto do it.  Any and all
> hints/suggestions welcomed and needed.

You may not be able to do this with the live CD, but should with the
alternate install CD. (I have had a case where the live CD would not
take /dev/hda2 as /, but would accept /dev/hda6 as /)

This assumes that you want to save data in /home.

At the partitioning stage, select 'manual partitioning'.
Edit the existing partitions, and:
1: Assign the correct corresponding mount point for each partition.
2: Mark the system partitions (/, /usr/, /var, /tmp) as to be formatted
3: Mark /home as to NOT be re-formatted.

Note that the partitioner should identify the swap partition and mark it
for re-formatting automatically.

Tim