Live CD/Partitioning ?

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 15 02:47:51 UTC 2007

> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > Just installed 384MB ram to use the live CD.  But
> > somewhat confused about retaining my $HOME Part
> which
> > is an extended part.
>
> I don't think there's a way to convert an extended
> to a primary (this
> may be wrong).  You can keep it as an extended, but
> that's not elegant
> if you have fewer than 4 partitions.  Probably, it's
> best to backup and
> then start over with all primaries.  If you don't
> have an external
> drive, they're getting very cheap.
>
> Matt Flaschen

Thanks Matt for the info.  Also posted on Sourceforge
on this issue and will reply back if a solution is
offered.  Also need a good howto for gparted as when I
started it from the live CD, the / was mounted and I
couldn't unmount it. I'd like to play around with
gparted separate from the install function to
experiment with expanding, shrinking, moving
partitions around before I reinstall.  Easier to mess
up this way, and I expect to, than during/after the
reinstall. Good to hear from you again.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net