must broadcast network name to connect

Default User xyzzyx at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 15 01:05:38 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 20:20 -0400, Roby wrote:
> Default User wrote:
>
> > Okay, I am stumped.
> >
> > Using Ubuntu 7.04 (no special or exotic setup), I can connect
> > automatically to my DSL modem/router if the "network name" (aka SSID,
> > aka ESSID) is broadcast, whether encryption is on or off.
> >
> > But if the network name, for example 93PRINCETON97 is NOT broadcast,
> > Network Manager will not connect, whether encryption is on or off.
> > Clicking the Network Manager Icon shows the signal bar graph for the
> > router, with a sufficient signal, but a blank space where the network
> > name would be if broadcast.
> >
> > I have tried cicking the blank name bar graph, clicking the Network Name
> > icon and entering in the dialog box the network name in uppercase and
> > lowercase, with and without single and double parentheses, with
> > parentheses and blank spaces, and even left it completely blank, etc.
> > Each time, Network Manager "searches" for about 30 seconds and then
> > gives up.
> >
> > I could just leave the network name set to always broadcast by default,
> > but for security reasons I do not want to broadcast it at all, and
> > should not have to.
> >
> > Does anyone know why the only way to connect is to broadcast the network
> > name?
> I don't know why Network Manager is doing such a sensible thing.  If it
> allowed you to run with ssid broadcast off, you would have a much better
> chance of having a neighbor set up shop on "your" channel ... causing you
> both to have network difficulties.
>
> Broadcasting your ssid is a GOOD IDEA: it lessens the chance of accidental
> doubling up on a channel.
>
> Not broadcasting ssid offers pitifully little security.  Readily available
> tools like Kismet aren't fooled.

Roby, thanks for the reply.

I thought that not broadcasting the network name would be more secure in
that a use would have to know and enter (or guess or crack) the network
name in order to connect. The router manufacturer's configuration
utility (web page internal to the router) states:

"Enables the wireless network name to be broadcast publicly to any
wireless users within wireless range of your network. Disabling the SSID
broadcast makes the network name private and provides enhanced security
by requiring wireless users to enter the network name manually when
creating a wireless network profile on their computer."

Granted, anyone with the right knowledge and tools can connect whether
the network name is broadcast or not. But if the setup is encrypted,
doesn't it help a little to keep the "honest people honest", as my
neighbor could not just blindly connect unless he has the encryption
key?

And does that mean that I can not connect to a network, even if it is an
open and unencrypted access point, unless the network name is being
broadcast?