Help! Install of v6.06 LTS Crashes after Language Selection

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Thu Jun 14 21:31:43 UTC 2007

On 06/14/2007 11:53 AM, glcarter at comcast.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a new Ubuntu user, well not even new yet since I can't get it
> installed.
>
> I am desperate to rid my Dell Insipiron 1200 notebook of its virus
> infested copy of Windows XP.  I have 40 GB of disk and plenty free.
> It has the required minimum of 256 Meg of RAM.
>
> - I insert the Ubuntu CD into the drive, start the PC and immediately
> press F12. - I change the boot device to the CD Drive. - After about
> 15 minutes (should it really take this long?) I finally have an
> Ubuntu desktop with an icon that reads: Install. - I double click the
> Install icon - After another 10 minutes (sirttl?) I get to Install
> screen 1 of 6 to select a language. - I select English and press the
> Forward button - After about 15 minutes (sirttl?) the screen freezes,
> never moves from Install 1 of 6, the progress icon stops spinning,
> all device lights are off. - Everything is frozen I can't even pop
> open the CD drive
>
> I thought Ubuntu would be perfect for just light work and internet
> browsing on this laptop.  Am I wrong?  Am I doing something wrong?

Yes and no.

1. Don't bother using the Live CD for that system - it will take forever
and eventually fail, use the Alternate CD instead.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
check the box for the Alternate CD.

2. I'd recommend going straight to Feisty. Dapper is good, it's stable,
it's and it's an LTS. Because it's an LTS it is (rightfully so) stuck in
it's own time freeze. Feisty on the otherhand will most likely have
newer updates & changes that will address older notebook problems.

Documentation is here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/
 https://help.ubuntu.com/community/
  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation