Power saving for desktop pcs

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Thu Jun 14 01:44:22 UTC 2007

Rashkae wrote:
> Eric S. Johansson wrote:
>> I want the same thing except for servers.  I would love it if there was some way
>> to reduce power consumption for disk drives but I think the easiest thing would
>> be to scale back the CPU clock rate during times of low load which would reduce
>> a major source of heat and between that and high efficiency power supply units,
>> that's the best we are going to get for awhile.  Even still, it would be great.
>>

> Ubuntu, like many current distros, is configured out of the box to use
> the 'on demand' cpu speed governor.  It already does what you want.  I
> would be very careful with trying to aggressively spin down the hard
> drive.  It may well not be worth it unless you really need to conserve
> battery power.

really?  Wow.  I haven't seen that with feisty but then again, since the X11
server is mildly screwed up, I don't use that particular laptop much anymore.  I
can't wait until a certain package I depend on has been ported to Linux via
wine.  Then I can get a quiet farewell to you know who.

I'm wondering, could this be used with a server?  What's the tool name?  Reason
being is I have a shuttle box sitting on the shelf behind me.  The fan blows on
the wall and is starting to peel the paint with mild charring of the shelf.  Can
you you tell it has a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4.  :-)  challenge will be that it is
running dapper alone if I put the raid in and upgrade VM Ware server (yet
again), maybe, just maybe...

---eric