Simple programming language anyone?

Cameron Hutchison lists at xdna.net
Wed Jun 13 22:59:47 UTC 2007

>I'm a teacher and using Ubuntu 606.
>I need a simple programming language to make my own teaching stuff.
>Is there any simple prog (with graphical results) to use on Ubuntu?
>I have a basic programming experience.

I think Tcl/Tk would be a good choice for this.

Tcl has a simple syntax which is easily picked up and easily extended.
It can be a bit of a pain when you try to get sophisticated, but for
simple to moderate stuff you would not run into these issues.

Tk is a really simple graphical toolkit to use for constructing a simple
gui and getting immediate results. It has a good canvas widget that
makes drawing-style graphics simple and a good text widget that gives a
wide range of text formatting.

It is also well documented.

In Ubuntu 6.06, the package you want to install is tk8.4, which will
automatically pull in tcl8.4. You probably want tcl8.4-doc and
tk8.4-doc.

You'll also find there are a bunch of extensions available, in
particular itcl3 which is an object-oriented extension to tcl which can
help you structure larger projects.