Again, GRUB boot floppy

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Wed Jun 13 20:30:55 UTC 2007

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 June 2007, Rashkae wrote:
>> Maybe we're asking the wrong question... Surely there must be a
>> program/script out there somewhere that creates an emergency boot floppy
>> for your system?
>>
>> (Sorry, no, I don't know of any off the top of my head... I don't use
>> floppies at all anymore unless I'm installing Windoze)
>
> Ok, I guess I'm going to have to do it again.   I once wrote (about 5 yrs ago)
> a procedure for making a grub boot floppy.   I haven't used one in years.
>
> But it's not that tough and I will do it and report back.

I've seen lots of those so far,, the problem we've seen in these e-mails
so far is, these instructions can be difficult and out of reach for
someone who is not a command line guru without lots of hand-holding.

What is *really* needed is a little Icon in the Administration menu,,
well, two little Icon.  One says "Make Boot/Rescue Floppy" and "Make
Boot/Rescue CD"  (I know you can use the install CD, but wouldn't it
make sense to create a boot medium that will just boot right into your
existing Ubuntu system in case boot records or menu.lst get messed up?)

The steps for either should be simple enough to script.