Graphics card reconfiguration

Michael Satterwhite michael at weblore.com
Wed Jun 13 19:45:57 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 13 June 2007 14:41:43 Rashkae wrote:
> Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> > After a forced reboot, my system lost it's video configuration and is
> > stuck at 640 x 480. I know it's possible to use dpkg-reconfigure to tell
> > the system to set things up again, but I don't know what package(s) I
> > need to use to get it to do everything - including (to be safe) resetting
> > the graphics card.
> >
> > Would someone be so kind as to let me know what the magic words are? If I
> > need to reconfigure more than one package, that doesn't bother me in the
> > least - as long as I get my display back.
>
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

I'd already tried that one. That doesn't cause it to rescan the graphics card.
For some reason, it no longer thinks my graphics card can handle more than
640x480. When I call up the system administration screen, that's the only
resolution it shows. I know it handles this correctly at installation. Note:
I have a Dell Optiplex GX260 and am using the onboard graphics card.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.
---Michael