Upgrade from Redhat 7.2 to Ubuntu?

petevg at gmail.com petevg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 15:30:09 UTC 2007

> Is there a straightforward way to ugprade an old redhat box to Ubuntu
> without reformatting?

If you've kept your /home directory on a separate partition, the
upgrade path is basically reformat the partition that contains the OS,
mount your old /home as home, and you're good to go, provided you keep
the same username.  You'll have to reinstall all your software, but
all your configuration files and data should be intact.

I've kept the same home partition for the past couple of years, during
which time, I've had various RedHat, Debian and Ubuntu versions
installed on my box (I have had occasional wonky things happen with
Gnome -- I've made it a habit to wipe all the directories containing
Gnome config files if the distro I'm switching to uses a significantly
different version of Gnome -- you have to be careful to back up your
mail if you do this and you use Evolution for mail).

~PeteVG
Rogue Elf

The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.
~ Flannery O'Connor