DHCP - KUBUNTU 7.04`

Rapael Morcha raphael.morcha at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 05:14:13 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 11:24:17AM -0400, JD wrote:
> I must say this is pretty frustrating...
> I set up dhcp on eth0 at work.
> I brought my laptop home, and no matter what I do (even wiping out the
> /etc/network/interfaces file), when I restart networking, restart kdm, or
> even reboot, KUbuntu shows my dhcp address from WORK...
> My only conclusion is that either whatever avahi is it's storing information
> separate from networking on Linux...
> Or
> KUbuntu has a serious flaw in the networking corner...
> (I tried setting separate profiles in knetworkmanager, but that tool is
> useless - it doesn't "set up" anything)...
>
> Any help is appreciated.  I need to get this working soon so that I can have
> access to the VPN at work.  My job depends on it...

$ sudo apt-get remove avahi-daemon;
Don't need it.

wherever you are (office/home), do -
$ sudo ifconfig ethX up;
$ sudo dhclient3 ethX; OR $ sudo dhclient ethX;
(X is whatever interface number your device is set to e.g., I have eth0)

This will get you a dhcp lease (essentially an IP address from your DHCP server). Once this is up, start kvpnc.
Remember that it will only work if you already have IP address assigned to you by your dhcp server.
Otherwise, vpn won't work.

To check whether you have vpn running, run this in your shell -

$ ifconfig

And see a something like "point to point tunnel" in one of the device.
It has IP address as well. Then try pinging your gateway.

$ ping <gateway_address>

HTH