Correct way to use an older version of a package in Ubuntu?

Mitch Contla mcontla at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 14:29:55 UTC 2007

On 6/12/07, Adam Funk <a24061 at ducksburg.com> wrote:

> What's the correct way in Ubuntu to downgrade to a previous version of
> a package and keep it that way for a while?
>
> Last time I tried to do this (possibly using one of my old Debian
> command-line habits), I kept getting annoying messages in the update
> manager telling me to do a "partial upgrade" which did nothing.
>
> Thanks,
> Adam

You can install a specific version and then 'pin' it so that the
update-manager ignores it. For example, I recently 'downgraded' cdparanoia
and libcdparanoia0 like this:

   $ sudo aptitude cdparanoia=3a9.8-13 libcdparanoia0=3a9.8-13

Next I added the following entries to /etc/apt/preferences:

   Package: cdparanoia
   Pin: version 3a9.8-13*
   Pin-Priority: 1001

   Package: libcdparanoia0
   Pin: version 3a9.8-13*
   Pin-Priority: 1001

Now the update manager ignores updates for those packages.

See the APT HOWTO here:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html#s-pin

--
Mitch Contla