Email Server/Router for slow link or multiple slow links to the internet.

Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Mon Jun 11 15:50:22 UTC 2007

This is probably more of a Linux question than a Ubuntu question so
hopefully someone knows the answer.

I am setting up a Ubuntu server for emergency communications for
disaster relief.

I want to be able to set it up so people can send email to friends and
relatives telling them that they are all right and where they are. It
may be setup in temporary shelters for example.

The problem is that while we may have WiFi locally (attached to my
server), we may not have a good Internet connection. The options for
sending email are Amateur Radio VHF/UHF (up to 9600 baud), HF (1200
baud), or D-Star (4800 or 128K baud) or any of the traditional ways of
hooking to the Internet if available, like phone lines, cell phone,
satellite connection, or anything else we can find on site that will
make a connection.

Most of them connect using serial ports, and some like D-Star have
Ethernet connections.

I want to make it easy for people to hook up to my server with their
laptop, send a plain text email, and have the server queue it for the
best way (or next way) out (if we have multiple paths). That way when
they are done typing their email, the next person in line can do it. And
the email will be queued on a server with more reliable power.

We do not want them trying to browse the Internet, because we don't have
the bandwidth which is the other reason we want to go through a server.

What server programs do I need to learn for queuing outgoing email and
routing it out an available port. Is it one program, or a combination of
programs?

Thanks,
Kip
--
Kipton Moravec KE5NGX
"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."