Again, GRUB boot floppy

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Mon Jun 11 15:42:12 UTC 2007

On Monday 11 June 2007, alex wrote:
> I recently posted "GRUB boot floppy" and received some suggestions but
> the only one that comes closest to actually creating a working grub boot
> floppy is:
>

>       # cd  /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc
>       # dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
>         1+0 records in
>         1+0 records out
>     # dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1
>         153+1 records in
>         153+1 records out
>
> I couldn't get  it to work in the original form.  In the first place,
> there wasn't a track directory track like     /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc
>
> First, I formatted the floppy        # fdformat /dev/fd0h1440
> and then the following:
>
>         #cd /boot/grub/i386-pc
>         # dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
>         1+0 records in
>         1+0 records out
>     # dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1
>         196+1 records in
>         196+1 records out
>         100522 bytes (101kB)  copied  10.0162-seconds, 10.0kB/s
>
> When I start the computer, the floppy runs and I get a notice
>           GRUB loading stage 2
> followed by----"Minimum BASH-like editing supported"
>
> The TAB key displays a menu of  commands;
>
> This is as far as I can go-----I have no idea what to do from here
>
> To avoid the need to do BASH editing, I suspect that there should be
> something added to:.
>       #cd /boot/grub/i386-pc
>         # dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
>         1+0 records in
>         1+0 records out
>     # dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1
>         196+1 records in
>         196+1 records out
>         100522 bytes (101kB)  copied  10.0162-seconds, 10.0kB/s
>
> I hope I presented my problem clearly.
>
> alex

In looking at what you did, my first thought was "why didn't you use  grub
setup?"

What you did was to write stage2 onto the floppy, but when grub sets up a boot
sequence, it also tells the boot parts *where* to find the menu.lst.    Since
you didn't do that,  grub booted and then said  "Huh?"   which is what it
does when it doesn't have a pointer to the menu.lst location.