Syncing files on a home network

ruscook ruscook_oz at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jun 11 03:09:07 UTC 2007

Cliff,
Rsync does not "require" s/w at both ends. It can take advantage of it
to compress data streams etc, but if it's a SMB share or other local
partition it will quite happily write to it as well as via the
client/server mode.

Here's the syntax for a local copy (it would not matter if
/mnt/root/home is local or SMB as long as it's mounted).
rsync -avhx --stats --delete-after /home/ /mnt/root/home/

I have this in root's crontab for a 4 times a day sync between
partitions (there's an issue with mirroring at the moment so this is my
workaround). Note the --delete-after switch.

Russ

--

Kind Regards Russell
sales at windsorcycles.com.au