vmware blues

pkaplan1 at comcast.net pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 11 01:02:00 UTC 2007

From: david <david at kenpro.com.au>
> Installing vmware on feisty:
>
> sudo apt-get install vmware-server
>
> everything installs fine, but when I try to "power up" it says: error,
> and stops!
>
> I tried to install from tar-ball, but it didn't like my headers.
> It wanted linux-headers-386 (from memory) but I
> have /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-15-386/ which evidently isn't good
> enough :(
>
> Then I looked at re-installing from apt-get and noticed that apt-get
> insists on vmware-server-kernel-modules-2.6.20-16 although i'm running
> 2.6.20-15  ...... maybe that's why it won't power up?
>
> any thoughts?
>
> thanks, David.

A couple...

Make sure your kernel and your headers are both at the same number.  If you have copies of two versions of the header package get rid of the one not the same as your kernel.

At least for Workstation on Feisty, I needed to apply the vmware-any-any patch at ftp.cvut.cz/vmware for your configuration.  Try searching on the VMWare fora.

Good luck,
Paul