Why does OpenOffice.org suck worse than MS Office?

Michael T. Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 12:03:24 UTC 2007

So, here I am using Impress to make a presentation.  I want something
simple: I want to play an audio file when a certain slide is loaded.  Do
you think this is possible?  Of course it isn't!  Impress requires you
to click on the inserted object to play media of any kind.

Well, OK, so I can live with that.  It's ugly, but I've gotten used to
ugly when using F/LOSS.  After all there's no real incentive for people
to do the extremely hard, fiddly, unpleasant and thankless task of GUI
design, right?  Praise doesn't exactly fill the food bowl.  But
functionality?  That should work out of the box, right?

Hah!

Follow the instructions in the help.  Insert a media player object.
Give it the file it's supposed to play.  Run the slide show.  Watch the
media player object turn into a grey rectangle with absolutely no GUI
elements whatsoever.  Clicking on it?  Well, it does what you'd expect
-- if OO.o were written by Al Quaeda terrorists.  Hard disk starts to
grind.  A lot.  Simple text animations ("appear") that used to take a
fraction of a second take forever.  A slide with five line items now
takes over three minutes to display fully.  But there's no sound.

So what's the trick here?  How does one actually get an Impress
presentation to play music?  (Or, worse, to play a movie!)

--
Michael T. Richter <ttmrichter at gmail.com> (GoogleTalk:
ttmrichter at gmail.com)