Kubuntu Documation

Chris ubuntu at eportel.com
Sat Jun 9 21:27:26 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 20:43 +0100, ac wrote:
> Chris wrote:
> > Hi guys...again
> > I found some decent documentation for Kubuntu...the official one..and
> > some others...but I'm really considering making Kubuntu my desktop of
> > choice and was just wondering if you guys had more resources for Kubuntu
> > that worked for you.  There seems to be some very specific instructions
> > for Ubuntu in a lot of areas, and I'm looking for that kind of detail
> > for Kubuntu.  I haven't found any, but has anybody seen a book on
> > Kubuntu?  I don't understand how all the documentation is geared towards
> > Ubuntu and none of the other projects.  I know that the heart of the
> > systems is the same....but the desktop environments is different,
> > therefore the path,locations, and programs applets are different between
> > the desktop managers...so why no specific books or documentation?
> >
> > Or...should I be asking this question in a Kubuntu mailing list??
>
> I use kubuntu, however many questions are not so specific to the
> particular desktop environment. I know a few are - the editors include
> Kate in kubuntu for example, and the default applications are
> different. But when I use the gnome desktop environment on my machine
> (install package ubuntu-desktop) then I get both sets of applications
> anyway.
>
> I am on kubuntu lists too.There is so much in common that I find the
> ubuntu list ok for most needs. When you have a question about an
> application or program - particularly if it has 'K' in it (kde) then
> the kubuntu lists and forums are certainly worth considering too.
>
> hth
> --
> ac

Thanks ac for your thoughts.  Really?  Ok well I guess it just seemed
that way from what I read so far.  Some of the update command line
things seemed to be specific to Ubuntu. What about the instructions for
adding software repositories and other things like that?  I don't have
any examples off the top of my head, but there were some things that I
didn't have any idea how to use the example from gnome and apply it to
KDE...

Thanks for your input everybody.
Chris