VERY Slow to start up when no network

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Jun 8 16:49:14 UTC 2007

Chanchao wrote:

> Does anyone else get this?
>
> When no network connection is available, for example because I'm still
> set to the company LAN but starting up at home to later join my home
> wireless network, then the startup takes AGES.  Some things time out
> causing a black screen with log messages,

That part seems normal - mine does it too as it seems to wait for the DHCP
timeout on the network, even though it should know there _is_ no network.

> then finally I get to the
> login screen, but then again it takes forever for everything to come up,

_That_ sounds like 'lo' might not be up.  Do "ifconfig lo" and see what it
says.  I had  a problem with that happening in Edgy, and never did figure
out why.  I just put a script in /etc/init.d/ that did "ifconfig lo up" to
work around it.

> Perhaps unrelated, but Evolution email also freezes up every 30-40
> seconds for about 5 seconds or so when there's no network available,
> also when just writing a message. The whole screen turns grey (a Compiz
> thingy I think) then comes back to life only to freeze up again 40
> seconds later.

I have a different, but possibly similar, problem with KMail, which doesn't
behave well when offline.  It seems to be related to the network-status
daemon (there's a bug report somewhere on launchpad).  Konqueror also
doesn't work with "localhost" addresses when you're offline (but firefox
does).  Look back through the archive for my question about konqueror and
localhost - there's a link to the bug report in a response to that.
--
derek