4 times no match md5sum Xubuntu Alternate CD

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Fri Jun 8 02:21:26 UTC 2007

On 06/07/2007 06:36 PM, Chris wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 15:39 -0700, NoOp wrote:

>> I get the same: d38e78d8a8b6e8e43ded19cdaa2d0361
>> xubuntu-7.04-alternate-i386.iso [took forever to dl from that
>> server... even on a solid DSL line]
>>
>> For the OP/Chris: what are you using for your download agent? You
>> might try from a mirror site, and I'd recommend you use ftp if you
>> are having md5sum errors:
>>
>> http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
>> http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors
>>
>> example:
>>
>> http://ftp.cw.net/xubuntu/releases/feisty/
>> http://kde.mirrors.tds.net/pub/linux/ftp.ubuntu.com/cdimage/xubuntu/releases/feisty/release/
>>

>> For ftp, use gFTP and username anonymous (no password)
>> ftp.cw.net/xubuntu/releases/feisty/ kde.mirrors.tds.net/pub/ etc.
>>

> Thanks guys for your import and the correct check sum..I've never had
>  this problem before...I usually use k3b to burn it...and that
> program really....rocks...I love it.  But the problem is on the
> download side. I'll try the FTP this time...I've downloaded this
> like...5 times...all of them don't check out.
>
> Hey guys in your opinion does Xubuntu really work well on the older
> PCs? It will not install on two older PCs if I use the Desktop
> CD...but with the Alt. CD...I think it will work fine (if I can get
> it!) because even the Kubuntu Alt. Cd worked well on an old Intel 810
> chipset/Celeron 633Mhz with about 196MB or ram..Impressive..and that
> was Kunbuntu.....which I really love over GNOME.

I'd recommend just adding more RAM. I run Ubuntu on:
300Mhz noname w/296Mb
450Mhz Compaq Presario 5670 w/256Mb
650Mhz IBM A21 Thinkpad w/256Mb

All work just fine (normal Ubuntu problems excepted). I've not tried
xubuntu, but probably will now that I've downloaded the iso to test the
md5sum :-)

Note:
http://www.xubuntu.org/get
=====
Minimum system requirements

To run the Desktop CD (LiveCD + Install CD), you need 128 MB RAM to run
or 192 MB RAM to install. The Alternate Install CD only required you to
have 64 MB RAM.

To install Xubuntu, you need 1.5 GB of free space on your hard disk.

Once installed, Xubuntu can run with 64 MB RAM, but it is strongly
recommended to use at least 128 MB RAM.
=====