What's in a Domain Name? was (Starting applications at boot)

Jan Sneep jan at azureservices.ca
Thu Jun 7 19:17:15 UTC 2007

[snip]

> > forgot to run the script as SU, which got me to thinking
> there must be a log
> > file of some kind that is created during start-up that I
> can look at to see
> > if the system actually attempts to start the service and
> any errors that are
> > produced?
> >

> Try checking in /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages to see
> if there are
> lines pertaining to open-xchange-groupware that appear with other boot
> messages. There might be some error messages that point to
> what's wrong.

Checked the files and nothing specific as a glaring error ... but a few
lines did make me think of other questions that are sort of related. The
following is just a portion of the syslog file;

Jun  7 07:40:43 ubuntu postfix/master[5268]: daemon started -- version
2.3.8, configuration /etc/postfix
Jun  7 07:40:43 ubuntu postfix/pickup[5278]: warning: 9F2B91EBB00: message
has been queued for 1 days
Jun  7 07:40:43 ubuntu postfix/pickup[5278]: 9F2B91EBB00: uid=0 from=<root>
Jun  7 07:40:44 ubuntu postfix/cleanup[5280]: warning: connect to mysql
server 127.0.0.1: Unknown database 'open-xchange-db'
Jun  7 07:40:44 ubuntu postfix/cleanup[5280]: warning: 9F2B91EBB00:
virtual_alias_maps map lookup problem for root at ubuntu.OurLAN

and the system is still trying to figure out the problem;

Jun  7 14:27:18 ubuntu postfix/pickup[13925]: warning: C2BF71EBB1E: message
has been queued for 3 days
Jun  7 14:27:18 ubuntu postfix/pickup[13925]: C2BF71EBB1E: uid=0 from=<root>
Jun  7 14:27:18 ubuntu postfix/cleanup[17720]: warning: C2BF71EBB1E:
virtual_alias_maps map lookup problem for root at ubuntu.OurLAN

While this has nothing to do with the original thread for starting
applications specifically, part of the Open-Exchange install required me to
install Cyrus and configure it. Part of that install asked me for the domain
name. Having read various other post on this list and the Debian list about
local domain names I seemed to remember that for local LANs the domain name
didn't really matter, so you could make up one. So when I was asked I just
made up Ubuntu.OurLAN ... obviously the system is having a problem with my
made up domain name.

So is there some default Ubuntu domain name for LAMP servers? Is there some
way of checking what my system thinks its domain name is?

Yes, I spotted that I have to figure out what is wrong with the MySQL setup
and why it has a problem with the 'open-xchange-db'. I've been struggling
for three days now trying to get MySQL working properly for open-xchange ...
have posted several messages on the Open Exchange forum.

Any help getting my Ubuntu domain name(s) straighten out would be
appreciated.

Cheers,

Jan