Users $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Jun 7 14:32:07 UTC 2007

Cliff Hall wrote:

> A newbie, I decided to share my Home directory on my home network to
> facilitate file transfers.  When I restarted my computer the next day I
> got this message:
>
> Users $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored.  This prevents the default
> session
> and language from being saved.  File should be owned by user and have 644
> permissions.  User's $HOME directory must be owned by user and not
> writable by other users.
>
> Holy cow!  I quickly right-clicked on my home directory and turned off
> sharing, but the message reappears whenever I reboot the system.  Have I
> angered the mighty Ubuntu?  What did I do wrong and how can I correct it?

How do you mean "share"?  If you mean Samba, then your directory doesn't
need to be writable (samba access is controlled by samba, not directory
permissions).  I don't know about sharing via NFS.  So:

# chmod 644 ~/.dmrc
# chmod 755 ~
(or 711 if you don't want people reading your directory - you'll still need
the execute bit if you have any directories others should be able to
access).
--
derek