DVD Authoring on Linux just isn't ready for prime time (Was Re: DeVeDe? => Re: dvd authoring)

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Thu Jun 7 13:52:48 UTC 2007

Scott Lockwood wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 02:13 -0700, Patton Echols wrote:
>> Is it a non-linear editor?  The screenshot on the webpage does not
>> show a timeline view that I generally expect with editors of that
>> type.  The only one I know of is Cinelera.  I have DLed and installed,
>> but not worked with it much.  Fairly steep learning curve.
>
> Devede is no where near as featureful as Cinelera. It supports chapters,
> but only by allowing you to specify 'chapters are x minutes apart'. It
> will, for example, rip up a movie for you and set a chapter mark every 5
> minutes by default. It's pretty useless, and is the first thing I turn
> off when ripping a movie. To have 'real' chapter support, you'd need to
> hack up the video first, and then arrange it in the title yourself. A
> very (ugly) manual process. Plus, it doesn't add menu's for you. There
> really ISN'T a good DVD authoring tool for Linux yet, that I am aware.
> I'd love some suggestions on that topic myself. My requirements would be
> that it not only rip existing stuff, but that it have built in menu
> editing features, even rudimentary ones.

I have a program here called DVDStyler that lets you create basic menus
*and* allows you to specify your own chapter marks (You have to enter
them as minute:seconds, however, for each chapter you want.)

It doesn't rip movies however.  Due to the new anti-copying techniques
now used, the only 'ripper' that works universally now is VLC player.
But once you have a ripped and edited movie and you want to create a
DVD, (and assuming you don't want something like tovid to do it all
automatically without your menus or custom chapters), and you can use
DVDStyler to create one.