Starting applications at boot

Jan Sneep jan at azureservices.ca
Thu Jun 7 12:32:06 UTC 2007

[snip]

> Man update-rc.d. You can use this program to create the
> necessary links in
> rcX.d to the appropriate script in /etc/init.d/ to determine when a
> service should be started and stopped. You can use either
> update-rc.d's
> defaults, or you can specify the runlevel, and/or the
> start-stop order of
> your service's initscript.

I read the man page (took me a while to figure out that one uses the
enter-key to scroll down the pages and the q-key to quit ... just shows you
how much I have to learn ...) and then based on what it said decided to use
one of the examples and so typed;

update-rc.d open-xchange-groupware start 30 2 3 4 5 . stop 70 0 1 6 .

Which worked beautifully, well at least there are S30open-xchange-groupware
files in the /etc/rc2.d through to the /etc/rc5.d folders and
K70open-xchange-groupware files in the /etc/rc0.d, rc1.d, and rc6.d folders.

However, when I re-booted, first just a restart and then when that didn't
appear to work a cold-boot shutdown and start. I open a terminal window and
check the status and it shows "not running" and yet I can start & stop it
manually with out any problem. Now I did get an interesting response when I
forgot to run the script as SU, which got me to thinking there must be a log
file of some kind that is created during start-up that I can look at to see
if the system actually attempts to start the service and any errors that are
produced?

jan at ubuntu:~$ /etc/init.d/open-xchange-groupware status
/etc/init.d/open-xchange-groupware: line 34: ulimit: open files: cannot
modify limit: Operation not permitted
jan at ubuntu:~$ sudo su
Password:
root at ubuntu:/home/jan# /etc/init.d/open-xchange-groupware status
Checking for Open-Xchange Groupware: not running
root at ubuntu:/home/jan# /etc/init.d/open-xchange-groupware start
Starting Open-Xchange Groupware: open-xchange-groupware.
root at ubuntu:/home/jan#

I also notice that if I start the service in a terminal window and then I
close that window and open another the service has stopped and I need to
start it again. Which got me thinking that as the script is from the
open-xchange folks that perhaps it has some un-Ubuntu "stuff" in it that
might be causing it to not start properly? I have attached a copy in case
anyone can spot something that is a no-no.

Thanks,

Jan