Weird characters in the linux consoles and lines not drawn correctly

Chris Lemire good_bye300 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 6 14:18:36 UTC 2007

Hello. I need some help with a problem in Feisty. When I launch midnight commander from a linux console such as tty5, it displays strange characters that it should not be displaying and does not display the lines correctly. How can it be fixed? I have tried changing the locale from en_US.UTF-8 to en_US.ISO-8859-1, but that did not make a difference.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/9026/hpim1001bh8.jpg