Running Ubuntu from CD

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jun 6 06:35:49 UTC 2007

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 01:18:58 -0500
"Deq Hussein" <deq.hussein at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am new to Ubuntu.
> I downloaded ubuntu (ubuntu-7.04-desktop-i386.iso), extracted it and burned
> the extracted files onto a CD. Tried to boot Linux from that CD but no
> success.
> I must be doing something terribly wrong. I need some help. Is my approach
> right or did I get it complete wrong.

The CD is an "image" - an ISO. I suspect that by default your system tried
to "extract" it as if it were an archive - I believe some Windows apps see
ISOs in this manner. If you burn the result to a disc it will not be
bootable.

What you actually need to do is burn the image "as is". There are
instructions at this URL:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

Let us know if this helps.

Peter