FireFox driving me NUTS !!!

Jan Sneep jan at azureservices.ca
Tue Jun 5 19:28:33 UTC 2007

[snip]

> This goes back to my post - IF you installed Ubu-Server, by default -
> it's DHCP, you did produce your resolve file (that's good) but this
> means that it could be getting the info from your router (I
> dont recall
> if you mentioned if the router is handing out DHCP or not)
>
> As I mentioned before - you need to do some very basic network
> discovery. Ping the network inside the router, ping something outside,
> provide trace routes, etc. Firefox will only do what the OS
> tells it to
> do - notig more (unless of couse you went into the settings
> and tweaked
> around - if so, set them all back to the defaults).

When I ping internal addresses I get responses that average about 1 ms

When I ping an external name server I got an interesting and slightly
unexpected result. I have two routers on our LAN the second one is just to
give me more ports for pluging in devices and the DHCP in the second server
is turned off. I verified that! When the Ubuntu server was connected via the
gateway router [gateway is at 192.168.1.1, secound router is 192.168.1.2]
the average time was about 11 ms. However when I connectd it via the second
router, every other line would be more than triple the reply time, i.e.
first ping response was 11 ms, second was 43 ms, third was 10 ms, fourth was
39 ms, fifth was 12 ms, sixth was 41 ms.

Very odd, but still shouldn't be causing any problem for FireFox even if
they were all at 40 ms, but just to be sure I plugged the Ubuntu server into
a gateway port and perhaps, just perhaps it is slightly better. Certainly
the problem has not been eliminated.

> Since you installed the Ubu-Server, make sure you check out
> the docs on
> the Ubu site - additionally, did you install a firewall on Ubu? If so,
> check the rules.

FireFox was automatically installed as part of the Gnome Desktop package via
an apt-get.

> Since I don't do a WM on Ubu-Server (for that mater, on any other unix
> server I have), I can't help you with the graphical end of things. I
> prefer not to have the added overhead on a server - if I
> wanted that, I
> would have installed ... well, something out of Redmond ;)
>
> The only other question that may need to be looked at is if Ubu-Server
> has SELinux installed and turned on. This could be the issue.

How can I tell if SELinux is turned on?