Starting applications at boot

Jan Sneep jan at azureservices.ca
Tue Jun 5 18:55:22 UTC 2007

{snip]

> The programs to be start need a script in /etc/init.d
> Needs to take parameters start,stop,reset etc.
> Take a look at some of the ones in there.
>
> You then need to tell the system to run that script.
>
> You need to put links in
> /etc/rc?.d
> where ? is the run level
>
> and sym link as:
> S??progname
> to start the program at that run level
> K??progname
> to kill the program at that run level
>
> again look at what's in those folders for guidance
>
> Of course I may be wrong, I don't run Apache (not any more anyway).
>
> Andy

I installed Apache2.2 from the packages so that's working fine for me ...
however I'm trying to get Open-Xchange up and working, not with a lot of
success mind you, however I have managed to get an open-xchange-groupware
script into the /etc/init.d folder that has the Start|Restart|Stop|Status
etc options and it starts fine manually from a terminal window.

I looked in the rc0.d, rc1.d, etc folders ... all the readme files seem to
be blank? ... so how does one know which Rc?.d folder put a link in? Looks
like many programs appear in multiple directories? Is there some
documentation on this or is there an easy way to get this application to
start at startup?

Jan